Friday, April 13, 2007

Islands Afar

Distance,
Great distance.
I have left the shores that I know
And labored for my master and his ship.
I have left behind the one that I love.
Over the swallowing sea I have come,
Through storms, gales,
Furious winds and
Distance,
Great distance.
Will she forget me or will she wait and worry
What has become of me?
Will she call to me across the winds?
Her tears tossed to the salty sea?
Or will she throw our love to the wind,
And think of me no more.
Distance.
Great distance.
I have been carried far,
On this ship of burden,
And here I slave on islands afar.
My body aches and my bones cry out,
But the ache of my heart is far greater.
Oh, won’t you wait for me?
Distance,
Great distance.
My body I’ve wrecked for this cause,
My hands I’ve worked to no end.
My heart it bleeds for my love likely lost.
What else will this sea take from me?
I’ve given too much thus far,
And it gives nothing in return but
Distance.
Great distance.

No comments: